Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Master of my Fate, Captain of my Soul

Today during summer school, we had a volunteer that exceeded expectations. This was a girl that actually took the initiative to sit by one of our most misbehaved students to calm him down and remind him that one, he was being watched, and two, he was being admired in his depth of potential. Not many people, shamefully including myself, can have the sensibility to instead of standing back and allowing to happen, reach out with responsibility. The third time the student became interruptive, the volunteer got up from her chair, walked on over, and sat not far from him. She tapped him on the shoulder and said while motioning her hands, "I'm watching you." Later, she came over to both the kid and me while we were reading, and told him to wipe his face with a wash cloth she kindly brought him. She said, "Now I can tell your handsome."

Today also brought another situation worth noting. An old student of mine who I haven't seen in a while compared to a day-to-day basis, had called out during circle time, "Now, it's Ms. Krys' turn to introduce herself." I regretfully shh-ed him in fear of interrupting a class I wasn't a part of and compromised my appreciation of being there for the rejected and unforgettable look on his face.

Lesson learned: Let life come to you without being governed by the fear of breaking any rules or standards. Sometimes, all it takes is breakthrough to stand up and live....

No comments:

Post a Comment